Thursday, August 17, 2017

Some last-minute tips for how to maximize on the Solar Eclipse 2017 in Idaho

A sneak-peek at what we'll see ... (Courtesy Astronomy Magazine) 
Eclipse path through Idaho ... the red line is the bull's eye (screenshot from NASA Interactive Eclipse Map) 
Hi all,

I remember experiencing the last solar eclipse to occur in the Pacific Northwest in 1979, and I can tell you it wasn't nearly the big deal they're expecting it to be this year in Idaho and the U.S.

I was going to college at the University of Montana at the time, and a friend and I drove east toward Great Falls to see the eclipse in the best place possible under the "Big Sky." But we didn't really "see" the eclipse, because of course, that would have ruined our eyes. So upon the advice of experts, I fashioned a box with a pinhole to watch the moon block out the sun entirely. I don't remember how long it lasted, but because I couldn't watch it with a pair of super cool eclipse glasses, it wasn't really that spectacular ...




This time around, it should be more interesting ... I've got my eclipse glasses ready to go, and I'm hoping to see the eclipse from a mountain top in the prime zone where you get to view a 100 percent total eclipse.

The question many people have had, I'm sure, is where to see the eclipse? How to avoid the masses? Or is that possible? I'm providing tips for this question and more below.

On the question of where to see it, I would refer you to the NASA Interactive Eclipse Map. Zooming into the map, you can see where the 100% eclipse path is located across Idaho, and it spans from Weiser to Stanley to Rexburg, and then Jackson Hole, Wyo. What a cool deal to have this happening so close to home!

Cross-reference the Interactive Eclipse Map with your topo and Google Earth mapping sources to zero in on potential camping areas and landing spots for you and your group.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's going to be super crowded in Weiser and Stanley, where 15,000 to 30,000 people are expected. The Redfish Lake camping areas and Redfish Lake Lodge have been sold out for weeks. I wonder how many people will be backpacking in the Sawtooths and White Clouds? Probably quite a few ...

  • Pick a spot that's off the beaten path where you can camp/stay for several days. The worst traffic jams are expected to be on the morning of the eclipse on Monday, Aug. 21, and after the eclipse. 
  • Leave at least a day early (if not sooner) to pick your spot for the eclipse and don't try to drive home until Tuesday. 
  • Check road conditions anytime on ITD's 511 site
  • Wear approved eclipse glasses with the proper ISO rating. I got mine from the Boise State Physics Department when they presented at the Idaho Environmental Forum. 
  • Take enough food and water with you for several days. 
  • Be ready to watch on Monday morning ... The eclipse begins at 10:10 a.m., with the total eclipse starting about 11:25 a.m. and running about 2 minutes. The eclipse ends about 12:48 a.m.
  • Call ahead and check with the Forest Service to double-check access to trails, camping areas and roads. Call the local ranger districts for the best information closest to where you plan to go. Here's a general USFS web site that leads to specific national forest web sites. 
  • Can I take a photo of the eclipse with my mobile phone? I've seen varying answers to this question ... and some experts say that taking a photo of the eclipse could cause lasting damage to your phone. If you have a way to filter the brightness, that makes it safer. See here for more info. 
I hope everyone has a great time watching the eclipse! 

See more information at the Boise State eclipse web site, which also has links to NASA web sites ...

Here's another link to 25 facts that you should know about the eclipse  from Astronomy Magazine before you go ... 
- SS 

No comments: