Sunday, January 18, 2009

My boyhood hockey rink still rocks

My boyhood outdoor hockey rink
Bennett Field, Deephaven, Minnesota
Free outdoor ice - Priceless!

I was back in Minnetonka, Minn., to hang out with my Dad over the weekend, and I had a little time Saturday afternoon to head over to Bennett field -- a place where I used to play hockey when I was a kid. Much to my delight, the outdoor rink was flooded, frozen and in good shape. Six juniors from Minnetonka High School had a pickup game under way.

I laced up my skates in the warming house and joined the game. We played for an hour until we were exhausted (no resting allowed). Much to my delight, I could hang pretty well with those boys. They loved hearing about how I had played in league hockey at that rink and others nearby in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Back then, below-zero temperatures were typical in January -- and my toes and fingers will never be the same.

It's too mild in Boise for consistent outdoor ice. So I really love it when I have a chance to play sandlot hockey in Minnesota. It's a treat. -SS